Skip to main content

Macarons Quilt

This was a fun quilt to work on and I hated to see it finish - I was wallowing in all these pinks and yellows!  Made of 48 macarons, the blocks were simple to make. The fun was in planning the cookie and the filling.

๐Ÿ’ Macarons pattern by Modern Handcraft - Nicole Daksiewicz makes some of my all-time favorite modern quilt patterns.

๐Ÿ’— Fabrics are Pure Solids by Art Gallery Fabrics - Run, don't walk, to their website. I dare you to scroll through these gorgeous solids without buying something!

๐Ÿงต Quilting by Longarmed and Dangerous, who makes all my quilts look good!


                     





I went with the designer's choice of a bright yellow binding. I think it really makes the quilt pop.


I love the modern look and feel of this quilt.


The wavy horizontal quilting lines give this quilt such a modern look. 


"I'm ready for my closeup."
~ Deep Pink Macaron


Quilting thread magically blends throughout the bright colors and the white. How does she do that? :)


Simply yummy!


Even more yummy!


Before I give away a quilt, I like to hang it on my design board for a few days. This one really cheered up my workspace! 


I was thrilled to give this quilt as a birthday gift. Here's the world's best quilt model, my husband, in a swanky New York City restaurant, showing off my gift. We didn't make too much of a scene. :)


๐Ÿฆ†

To learn more about this quilt and Diane's other quilting projects, contact her at diane.fitzpatrick@mac.com. And check out her Instagram page.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back at It!

It's not that I haven't been making quilts. While 2023 was a slower year for me, quilt-wise, I did manage to churn out four major quilts and some smaller projects. It was a busy year: Two international trips and some domestic travel, my son's wedding, summers at the lake, and a new job for me. But my sewing room kept up a persistent -- and loud -- siren song. I attended QuiltCon last year and took classes to make two quilts: a selvedge quilt and a very modern quilt with solids, both paper-pieced and both by Amy Friend . They were ambitious projects and it took me almost a year to finish them. (More to come on the pitfalls I suffered with that modern Gulls quilt god help me why do I do this to myself I'm an idiot.) So while last year wasn't as productive as my first three years of quilting, the quilts I did make were major. The bed-sized quilt I made for my son and his wife was a modern but scrappy double wedding ring quilt in which I incorporated pieces of lace fro

My Original Rainbow Quilt

In early 2021, I had only been quilting about a year, but thanks to the pandemic, I had already amassed a pretty big fabric stash. I decided to make an entire quilt without purchasing any new fabric. I was going to use up some of these scraps, doggone it! Make room for some new purchases!  If you're a quilter, you know that's not how it works. No matter how big the quilt, your scraps seem to multiply, despite how much you use. It's a sewing room miracle. But back to the story. I drew up a design of my own, kind of a wonky log cabin block. I wanted to make a rainbow of colors that transitioned through the rainbow in a nice gradual flow.  This is going to be a long-term project, I thought. I'm not going to rush through this like a maniacal sweatshop foreman. Here, I'm going to put all my different colored scraps over here in this big box in the corner and I'll just bring it over to the table when I want to work on it for a few minutes. In the meantime I have all t

An Overlapping Color Bar Quilt

This sweet little quilt was given to Our Baby Girl last weekend, so I feel like it's a good time to show it off! I had wanted to make a quilt with the look of transparent overlapping color blocks and while there were kits out there, I wanted to figure it out on my own.  Using the Kona Solids color chart panel given to me by my sister Pam, I chose pastel solids that I thought would work. For the most part, they did. Some of the blocks I'd like to re-do, but don't we always think we can do better next time? My quilt model didn't much appreciate doing an outdoor shot. Notice the snow on the ground? That lime green overlap color is one of my favorites. I love purples for babies! Quilting, by   Longarmed and Dangerous , is variegated pastel thread in these darling twinkles! For backing, I chose Tula Pink's True Colors Fairy Dust , with all of those magical colors perfect for a baby quilt. When opened up and in the light, the quilting really stands out. Abby, my supervis