Skip to main content

L-O-V-E Is All You Need

 


I had such fun making this quilt as a wedding gift for a very, very special couple. The bright colors of Tula Pink's fabric lines seemed perfect for this bride and groom, so I had a chance to use up some of the Tula fabric I had been collecting.

This L-O-V-E pattern is easy to put together. I saw a picture of this done in African print fabrics and fell in love with it. So I drew out a grid, sized it the way I wanted it, and started cutting out simple squares. With enough of a variety of fabrics, a quilt like this one doesn't require a lot of planning. 

I love to see this quilt outdoors - the bright colors can really jazz up nature! One of my favorite Tula fabrics is Mineral and I used it in several colors in the quilt top and used the black and white version as backing.

When folded up, this quilt looks like geometric designs, but you and I know there's a message hidden in there!

I went with a scrappy binding, which has become my favorite way to bind a quilt. (Thanks to my sister Reenie, who is always full of suggestions for using up favorite fabric scraps.)

๐Ÿ’™!

Alice, from Tula's Curiouser and Curiouser line, makes an appearance front and center.

And I couldn't help but add a tiny hot pink Elvis to this quilt. He fit in quite nicely!



Quilts are nice for curling up with a book . . . Alice in Wonderland, perhaps?

I was so happy to deliver this quilt to Lauren and Wesley's wedding last weekend. Now planning my next wedding quilt! ๐Ÿงก



๐Ÿฆ†

To learn more about these quilts and Diane's other quilting projects, contact her at diane.fitzpatrick@mac.com. And check out her Instagram page.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back at It!

It's not that I haven't been making quilts. While 2023 was a slower year for me, quilt-wise, I did manage to churn out four major quilts and some smaller projects. It was a busy year: Two international trips and some domestic travel, my son's wedding, summers at the lake, and a new job for me. But my sewing room kept up a persistent -- and loud -- siren song. I attended QuiltCon last year and took classes to make two quilts: a selvedge quilt and a very modern quilt with solids, both paper-pieced and both by Amy Friend . They were ambitious projects and it took me almost a year to finish them. (More to come on the pitfalls I suffered with that modern Gulls quilt god help me why do I do this to myself I'm an idiot.) So while last year wasn't as productive as my first three years of quilting, the quilts I did make were major. The bed-sized quilt I made for my son and his wife was a modern but scrappy double wedding ring quilt in which I incorporated pieces of lace fro

My Original Rainbow Quilt

In early 2021, I had only been quilting about a year, but thanks to the pandemic, I had already amassed a pretty big fabric stash. I decided to make an entire quilt without purchasing any new fabric. I was going to use up some of these scraps, doggone it! Make room for some new purchases!  If you're a quilter, you know that's not how it works. No matter how big the quilt, your scraps seem to multiply, despite how much you use. It's a sewing room miracle. But back to the story. I drew up a design of my own, kind of a wonky log cabin block. I wanted to make a rainbow of colors that transitioned through the rainbow in a nice gradual flow.  This is going to be a long-term project, I thought. I'm not going to rush through this like a maniacal sweatshop foreman. Here, I'm going to put all my different colored scraps over here in this big box in the corner and I'll just bring it over to the table when I want to work on it for a few minutes. In the meantime I have all t

A Special Kind of Memory Quilt

  Dianne and I had a special friendship. The kind that is borne from being a stay-at-home mom with babies, toddlers and preschoolers, where you consider yourself lucky if you can find one kindred spirit, one other mom with whom you can share your heart, your soul, and as many laughs as you can afford. We shared so many adventures, and now that she's gone, there are stories too many to count.  Twenty years after her death, Dianne's stepmother, Linda, and daughter, Jasmine, were going through a box of sewing projects that Linda had stashed away. They came across "the infamous shirt-and-tie-quilt," a quilt that Dianne was working on while she was fighting her last battle with cancer. No one liked the quilt, not even Dianne. Especially not Dianne. "All she did was complain about that quilt," Jasmine told me. "We all got tired of hearing about how much she hated the stupid shirt-and-tie-quilt." No one wanted the quilt, not even Dianne's husband, fo