Skip to main content

A Special Kind of Memory Quilt

 


Dianne and I had a special friendship. The kind that is borne from being a stay-at-home mom with babies, toddlers and preschoolers, where you consider yourself lucky if you can find one kindred spirit, one other mom with whom you can share your heart, your soul, and as many laughs as you can afford. We shared so many adventures, and now that she's gone, there are stories too many to count. 

Twenty years after her death, Dianne's stepmother, Linda, and daughter, Jasmine, were going through a box of sewing projects that Linda had stashed away. They came across "the infamous shirt-and-tie-quilt," a quilt that Dianne was working on while she was fighting her last battle with cancer.

No one liked the quilt, not even Dianne. Especially not Dianne. "All she did was complain about that quilt," Jasmine told me. "We all got tired of hearing about how much she hated the stupid shirt-and-tie-quilt."

No one wanted the quilt, not even Dianne's husband, for whom she was making it. 

I remembered her talking about the shirt-and-tie-quilt, but it was all gibberish to me. I didn't quilt at all then, and barely sewed a stitch on anything. I couldn't imagine, though, why it would be so difficult for Dianne, who had tackled huge quilts before. 

So when Linda and Jasmine asked me to finish the shirt-and-tie-quilt I immediately said yes. I was honored to be the one to finish Dianne's work. It arrived in a large box, the unfinished quilt, all the fabric scraps from what was already pieced, new fabric for what was not yet pieced, some background fabric, a book with the pattern, and some things that I can't to this day tell you what it was part of or how I was supposed to use it. I saw that some of the quilt was appliqued and I did not like to applique.

The whole box was so intimidating, I packed it all back up, stuck it in a corner of my sewing room, and sent Linda and Jasmine a note: "I can't make any promises. But I'll try."

When I dove into the project, I started to see the genius in Dianne's quilt design. What first appeared to be random scraps of fabric turned into little dress shirts with button-down collars and neckties, started to become clear that Dianne had carefully chosen fabrics that looked like they should be shirts and fabrics that looked like they should be ties. 

I took apart the blocks Dianne had finished and sewn together, made an additional block of my own (learning to like applique just a little bit in the process), rearranged the blocks, made a border of bow ties, added a couple more borders and -- just like that -- finished!

I ended up doing the quilting myself, which is a first for me. The buttons on the shirt collars prevented me from sending it to Mary at Longarmed and Dangerous to be run through the longarm quilter. Knowing Dianne and her "Just Do It!" spirit, I thought she would approve of me forging ahead and learning as I went. And I swear I could hear her laughing as I muttered, "I hate this stupid shirt and tie quilt."

But it turned out to be a beauty in its own way. All the time I spent working on it, I spent with Dianne.



















🦆

To learn more about these quilts and Diane's other quilting projects, contact her at diane.fitzpatrick@mac.com. And check out her Instagram page.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back at It!

It's not that I haven't been making quilts. While 2023 was a slower year for me, quilt-wise, I did manage to churn out four major quilts and some smaller projects. It was a busy year: Two international trips and some domestic travel, my son's wedding, summers at the lake, and a new job for me. But my sewing room kept up a persistent -- and loud -- siren song. I attended QuiltCon last year and took classes to make two quilts: a selvedge quilt and a very modern quilt with solids, both paper-pieced and both by Amy Friend . They were ambitious projects and it took me almost a year to finish them. (More to come on the pitfalls I suffered with that modern Gulls quilt god help me why do I do this to myself I'm an idiot.) So while last year wasn't as productive as my first three years of quilting, the quilts I did make were major. The bed-sized quilt I made for my son and his wife was a modern but scrappy double wedding ring quilt in which I incorporated pieces of lace fro

An Overlapping Color Bar Quilt

This sweet little quilt was given to Our Baby Girl last weekend, so I feel like it's a good time to show it off! I had wanted to make a quilt with the look of transparent overlapping color blocks and while there were kits out there, I wanted to figure it out on my own.  Using the Kona Solids color chart panel given to me by my sister Pam, I chose pastel solids that I thought would work. For the most part, they did. Some of the blocks I'd like to re-do, but don't we always think we can do better next time? My quilt model didn't much appreciate doing an outdoor shot. Notice the snow on the ground? That lime green overlap color is one of my favorites. I love purples for babies! Quilting, by   Longarmed and Dangerous , is variegated pastel thread in these darling twinkles! For backing, I chose Tula Pink's True Colors Fairy Dust , with all of those magical colors perfect for a baby quilt. When opened up and in the light, the quilting really stands out. Abby, my supervis

Dot and Dash Quilt in Candlelight Colors

There's something therapeutic about making a modern quilt. When you are piecing simple shapes in a simple design, your focus shifts to color and detail. And for me, a white background is less forgiving - and I pay closer attention to my work and try to make fewer mistakes. This was my first quilt from designer Nicole Daksiewicz of Modern Handcraft . All of her quilt designs are very modern, stunning patterns. Check out her variations of this Dot and Dash quilt in bright colors in a rainbow design, in pinks, and in soft pastels - gorgeous!  For this quilt, a gift to a BFF, I chose Ruby Star's Candlelight line of fabrics. augmented with blue and taupe solids that I agonized over, because they just didn't seem to match. I even emailed Nicole and asked her advice. (How these designers put up with me, I'll never know.) In the end, the solids I chose worked well. The quilting gods are so kind to me! I loved making this quilt so much that I am ready to make it again, this ti