Skip to main content

Wall Hangings: Showy Little Quilts


Here's what I love about making a quilted wall hanging:

1. They're small enough that I can whip one up in a weekend.

2. I can do the quilting myself, instead of sending it out to the long-arm.

3. When hung, everyone can see the quilty wonderfulness.

Wall hangings are a great use for that little bit of fabric that you have . . . not enough for a full-sized quilt, but pretty enough that you want to use it. And backing fabric is no problem for two reasons: You don't need much, and it won't be seen until one of your discerning quilter friends decides to do an inspection. :)

I have finished three wall hangings in the past year, and have two more waiting for me to quilt (quilting is not my strong suit, so I have to gear up!).

This large anchor quilt wall hanging I made with blue batiks on a white background. The pattern is "Anchors Away" by Denise K. Bane. She is nice enough to share her pattern for free on her website, I Am a Quilter. She shows how to make this quilt with ombre fabrics - so much fun!


Having a new (to us) condo means lots of big, blank walls. What better way to fill them than with quilts? Because we're on a lake, this "Choppy Waters" quilt seemed perfect. The pattern is from the Art East Quilting Company. Fabrics are Kona solids.



I love these variations in colors and I was really torn about whether to make the multi-color quilt or the one in blues. Maybe it's time to make another!



This blocky, modern quilt is from Karen Anderson Abraham of Blooming Poppies. "Guard Rails" is a fun modern, improv design that allows each maker to get creative and experiment with shapes and color combinations. This was my first try at a black background, which really makes the colors pop. 

Check out this lighter version of "Guard Rails." So dreamy!


Now for my two wall hangings that are waiting in the wings! I love foundational paper-piecing and I've always wanted to tackle one of Veruschka Zarate's patterns. Her Vase of Flowers was so out of my league but I decided to give it a try. She is just the sweetest, and emailed me back and forth a little bit to help me through some rough spots. I love her Instagram presence - her enthusiasm is contagious.


So while I was in the FPP mode, I decided to try this modern marvel. "California Poppies" is a pattern by Tina Curran. This was an absolute joy to make, since I got to have fun with improvising on the poppies and the background. 


I will be quilting and finishing these two wall hangings in the next few months (as soon as my sisters give me some lessons in some new quilting techniques I'm ready to try). Stay tuned for the finished products!

🦆

To learn more about these quilts and Diane's other quilting projects, contact her at diane.fitzpatrick@mac.com. And check out her Instagram page.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back at It!

It's not that I haven't been making quilts. While 2023 was a slower year for me, quilt-wise, I did manage to churn out four major quilts and some smaller projects. It was a busy year: Two international trips and some domestic travel, my son's wedding, summers at the lake, and a new job for me. But my sewing room kept up a persistent -- and loud -- siren song. I attended QuiltCon last year and took classes to make two quilts: a selvedge quilt and a very modern quilt with solids, both paper-pieced and both by Amy Friend . They were ambitious projects and it took me almost a year to finish them. (More to come on the pitfalls I suffered with that modern Gulls quilt god help me why do I do this to myself I'm an idiot.) So while last year wasn't as productive as my first three years of quilting, the quilts I did make were major. The bed-sized quilt I made for my son and his wife was a modern but scrappy double wedding ring quilt in which I incorporated pieces of lace fro

My Original Rainbow Quilt

In early 2021, I had only been quilting about a year, but thanks to the pandemic, I had already amassed a pretty big fabric stash. I decided to make an entire quilt without purchasing any new fabric. I was going to use up some of these scraps, doggone it! Make room for some new purchases!  If you're a quilter, you know that's not how it works. No matter how big the quilt, your scraps seem to multiply, despite how much you use. It's a sewing room miracle. But back to the story. I drew up a design of my own, kind of a wonky log cabin block. I wanted to make a rainbow of colors that transitioned through the rainbow in a nice gradual flow.  This is going to be a long-term project, I thought. I'm not going to rush through this like a maniacal sweatshop foreman. Here, I'm going to put all my different colored scraps over here in this big box in the corner and I'll just bring it over to the table when I want to work on it for a few minutes. In the meantime I have all t

A Trio of Wall Hangings

  My goal this year was to finish strong by finishing three small quilts that I started back in the Spring. Check and check! And check! In the end I gave up on my dream of doing the quilting myself and sent them all over to Mary at Longarmed and Dangerous , who did a fabulous job of quilting. Mary's super-power is pulling together any project to make it beyond your expectations. I think they all came out fabulous. Here's California Poppies, a quilt design by Tina Curran . Made with all scraps plus two or three green fabrics I ran out to buy at Pins and Needles in Mayfield mid-project. (I didn't have as many greens as I thought I did. The problem has been rectified. 😉  Meet Audubon Society, a quilt design by Laura Heine of Fiberworks . Paper-piecing these birds, with all of their different personalities, was just too much fun. I used Even More Paper fabrics by Zen Chic, and some other neutrals I had in my stash for the background, and for the birds used anything I could ge